Spiffy Raglan Sweater

By Tiffany - Thursday, March 26, 2015

I finally have the time to post about my latest knitting project, a lovely raglan sweater that I created.



I wanted a sweater that would be stylish and classic. At the same time I wanted the fit to be just right. I turned to sweater calculators for help, but they weren't exactly what I was looking for. So, I ended up building an Excel calculator to create raglan sleeve sweater patterns.

Pattern

The Spiffy Raglan Sweater Calculator (by me!)

I plan to post the calculator on Ravelry for download, so more on that to follow. *Update*: I've put the Calculator in my shop. Enjoy!


With my calculator, I was able to input my body measurements, pick the amount of ease I wanted, and set my gauge and *tada* my very custom pattern was born.

Here is what my settings were in the calculator:


I went with a simple boatneck for the version I made, but I've also allowed for crew neck and V-neck collars. I love the clean lines of my boatneck version.



Yarn

The yarn I used for this sweater was Cascades Heritage 150 Solid in Plum. It was a dream to work with and the overall sweater is just the right weight to layer over a shirt if I want or just to wear it by itself.

I used about 1.75 skeins of yarn. There is a yarn estimator that is part of the calculator and it estimates 2 skeins, which would work.


Overall, I'm very happy with my sweater and my calculator and my yarn. I think this is my best sweater yet. I wear it at least once a week and it is very comfortable.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Whoa. This is the kind of thing my husband would build if he were a knitter. That is the kind of crazy that equals awesome. The sweater looks great and you've created an amazing tool. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ip! If you are interested in testing it out, let me know. :)

      Delete