Burdastyle Easy 5/2014 #2B

By Tiffany - Tuesday, January 06, 2015

I've already finished one project for 2015. I made Burdastyle Easy Winter 2014 2B aka. my Pretty Purple Ponte Pullover.


Materials:
  • Century Ponte (49% Viscose, 30% Nylon, 15% Polyester, 6% Spandex)
  • Thread

My plan was to make this top out of contrasting sweatshirt fabric. But, I couldn't find any sweatshirt fabric that I liked. I ended up with this lovely, soft ponte fabric that is lighter on the wrong side of the fabric.


I really wish I had a walking foot while sewing this top. The ponte liked to stretch a lot under my regular presser foot. I have one on the way, it just hasn't arrived yet (boo).

Pattern

Burdastyle Easy Winter 2014 #2B


I made a size 40, which is the size I usually choose for Burda patterns. I found that there was way too much ease in the waist and took in the side seams. I tapered from the underarm to about 1.5" in at the waist and back out to original side seam about 5" above the bottom. Now it fits like a dream!
 


One of the challenges I had with this project was deciding how I wanted my sleeves. I kept flip-flopping between dark and light sleeves. I ended up just going with light sleeves and I'm happy with the look.


The purple of the fabric is closer to what is seen in the picture above. It's not very bright during the day, so my pictures aren't the greatest.

I finished the seams using a zig-zag stitch (since I didn't have any purple serger thread). The ponte is a bit thick, so I tried to keep some areas from being too bulky. I used a blindstitch hem on the bottom of the shirt and used a single strip of fabric to face the collar (I pressed it to the inside and topstitched in place).



This is such a comfortable shirt and it's a nice warm layer for the colder weather. While I usually prefer cardigans, I think I am still going to wear this pullover a lot.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I like your top. It looks pretty and comfortable at the same time. You did a neat job in it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice! Really flattering!

    ReplyDelete