My Sewing Room and My 'New' Sewing Machine

By Tiffany - Sunday, January 19, 2014

My sewing room has had a lot of work done to it lately. As part of my Christmas present, my hubby built me a peg board. It's made a huge difference! Here is what my area looked like before:


And here is after (and yes, the wooden dummy is still on the other side of the room):


All that stuff on the peg board was on my sewing table! Which meant I only had the area right in front of the sewing room to sew. Ridiculous!


Now, I even have room to leave my serger out and ready to go.

And here is my 'new' sewing machine:


It's a circa. 1978 Singer Stylist 533 that my dad bought for my mom for Christmas when it was new. It's the sewing machine I learned to sew on! I spent a few hours taking it apart, cleaning out all the lint, and oiling it. I was happy to see how many gears and parts were metal and not plastic.

This is what it replaced:


This was my 1991 Singer 3343C. So much more plastic! It's still a heavy machine, but it doesn't do what I want it to (ie. sew through 4 or more layers without skipping stitches and struggling). I had so many issues, like not being able to finish my winter jacket.

In comparison, the older Singer 533 is a dream! It sounds so beautiful when it runs. I tried sewing on a thick piece of twill to see how it would work. I just kept folding and folding it and sewed 12 layers with no problem!


This machine also has one extra feature that the Singer 3343C doesn't. The Singer 533 has a pressure foot adjustment dial. Now I can control tread tension and foot plate tension!


Now, I should have no problem sewing thick or tricky fabrics.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. It looks wonderful! Congrats on the new space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peg board is a great idea! Isn't it amazing how much sewing accessories we all have. Good luck with your "new" machine. A metal machine is definately more sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peg board is a great idea! Isn't it amazing how much sewing accessories we all have. Good luck with your "new" machine. A metal machine is definately more sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog very helpful and interesting,
    Thanks for sharing this info with us.
    cheap sewing machines online

    ReplyDelete
  5. would sew doll clothes and stuffed animals. I organized craft time for library story hours. I had a craft bag for kids that I brought babysitting. My closest friends had quilts, Serger World

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out fortnite today before it gets patched.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete