Fabric and the Environment

By Tiffany - Monday, May 29, 2017

Something I've been contemplating lately is the fabrics I use to sew my clothes. Some of the most common fabrics are very harmful to the environment. Polyester ends up in our water as micro-plastic. Rayon is one of the most deadly industrial products for workers - that includes that "bamboo" fabric that is advertised as eco-friendly.


This helpful article, "Fig Leaves Are Out. What to Wear to Be Kind to the Planet?", in the New York Times compares the different fabric types.






Turns out that wool is probably one of the best. Hemp isn't mentioned, so I'm going to look more into that.


However, for now, I'll have to work through my large stash of fabric I already purchased. I also buy a lot of used clothing, since I don't have much spare time for sewing at the moment.


At least when I finally do have time to make a whole new wardrobe, I'll know to look for fabrics that are a little more earth friendly.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. A very interesting read but sadly doesn't go in depth. Gotta say I was sad to hear about bamboo when I had read so many awesome things about it. Perhaps it's also a case of picking your battles :s

    ReplyDelete