DIY Maternity Pillow

By Tiffany - Saturday, August 22, 2015

I like to sleep on my back, but I'm already started having issues with my growing mid-section. I woke up a few times with pins-and-needles in my arms and legs (yes, arms too! - I don't know why). So, I decided to make a maternity pillow.

There are some huge monster pillows you can make. And while they look comfortable for the user, I don't see how anyone else can fit in the bed! So, I decided to try out the simple Instructables tutorial that just uses a pillow.


I used a standard pillow that I bought for $6. The tutorial calls for a king size, but I wanted to see if I could keep things more compact. I filled the pillow sides with most of the stuffing that came for the entire pillow so that it would be extra firm.

I've used it for the past few nights and I'm here to report that it works. The first night, I had it a little high and my lower back hurt because it wasn't being supported. The last few nights, I've been making sure that it's at least as low as my mid-butt area (near the tail bone) and it has worked great. No more pins-and-needles. My shoulders and upper back feel better too, since I can keep my shoulder in a better spot when I'm lying on my side.

All I need now is a small pillow for between my knees. Right now, I've just been stuffing the comforter between my knees, but that won't work once the weather gets colder.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great idea! I could have used that when I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i sleep then i need a sport to my back now i see this pillow and its designee very fine for my requirement thanks for share it pregnancy pillow .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. This pregnancy pillow is super awesome pattern! – really excited to make this in the next few days to ease my sleep problem now that I’m close to finishing my 2nd trimester .

    ReplyDelete